I apologise for the late posting and hope it might be interesting for some readers.
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Philosophy
Reference number: 8994
The advertised position is located at the Department of Philosophy which is part of the Faculty of Philosophy and Education. The Department of Philosophy at the University of Vienna is large in international comparison and its members are active within a considerable variety of research areas. The department furthermore offers a range of courses reflecting the breadth of the fields of philosophy while upholding the highest standards within each specialized subject area. Special focus is placed on gaining insight and developing competences in order to contribute to the discussion of current philosophical problems. This intention to acknowledge new philosophical developments and tasks is reflected in a number of co-operations and research fields of the department.
Duration of employment: 6 year/s
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
The successful candidate will actively collaborate in research, teaching (holding classes due to extent regulations of wage agreement) and administration at the Institute of Philosophy in the field of Intercultural Philosophy and Non-European Traditions. This involves
– Developing and strengthening the independent research profile
– Involvement in research projects / research studies
– International publications and presentations
– Responsibility for project applications and the acquisition of third-party funding
– Preparing / writing a (publication-ready) habilitation thesis
– Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
– Supervision of students
– Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
– Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Georg Stenger’s professorship of Philosophy in a Global World includes following areas of work:
– Methodological basics, systematic and historical problems, especially in the context of Intercultural Philosophy or Transcultural Philosophy
– Phenomenology, Hermeneutics, Transcendental Philosophy, Ontology, Metaphysics and Critique of Metaphysics; Philosophical discourses in the 20th century and present
– Poststructuralism and Post-colonial Theory
– Theories of “Difference”
– Philosophy of Culture, Theory of Culture, Cultural Studies
– Aesthetics, Philosophy of Arts, Theory of the Image in an intercultural / transcultural context
– Ethics and Social philosophy in an intercultural / transcultural context
– Reflections of concepts and theories for a future world-society, mainly regarding: Theory of democracy and human rights
– Commitment to interdisciplinary work
Please add a description of your research / habilitation project (ca. 3.000 words) to your application.
– Ph.D. of philosophy passed with excellence
– publications and research talks in at least one of the areas listed above, preferrably in intercultural context
– Adequate teaching experience
– Basic knowledge of a non-European language
– Organisational skills and team-spirit
Applicants are required to submit:
– Letter of motivation
– Scientific curriculum (including copies of academic certificates and documents)
– One sample of your dissertation
– List of publications and research talks
– Description of your research / habilitation project
– Two published articles
– Two letters of recommendation
Main research field
|Special research fields||Importance|
|Ethics;Aesthetics;Social philosophy;Philosophy;Cultural philosophy;Political philosophy;Phenomenology||SHOULD|
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 30.10.2018, mentioning reference number 8994.
For further information please contact Sailer, Katherina +43-1-4277-46401.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 8994
The official ad can be read here.